Botox is a purified protein which is injected into specific muscles in the face to temporarily relax them, softening facial expressions and helping to reverse the signs of ageing.
Botox has been used cosmetically for more than 10 years and it has also been used to treat certain medical conditions in the UK for over 20 years. It has gained a license to treat frown lines, but must be prescribed after consultation with a qualified healthcare professional such as a doctor or nurse prescriber.
Seeing the benefits
Botox/Azzalure normally takes an average of 2 to 3 days to start working, although it may take a little longer for the full effects to be seen. The speed of action will depend on the strength of your facial muscles and your individual response to the injection. It can reduce the severity of glabellar lines for up to 4 months, other areas that can be treated include forehead lines and crows feet lines around the eyes.
What about side effects?
Like all medicines Botox/azzalure can cause side effects, although very rare. Any reactions are generally minimal, temporary, and typically relate to the injection itself.
There may be slight discomfort as the needle enters the skin. There is also the possibility of bruising or bleeding at injection sites.
On the day of your treatment:
Before injecting Botox/azzalure any make-up will be removed and the skin disinfected. Your practitioner will then study your facial muscles to see how they work, as individuals can differ. The injections should be painless and the procedure is very quick.
To treat frown lines, Botox/Azzalure is injected with a fine needle above and in between your eyebrows. The treatment session will last around 15 minutes and you can return to your usual daily activities immediately afterwards.
Your practitioner should tell you more about how to look after your skin following treatment, but as a reminder there are some general aftercare tips detailed below.
Information following your treatment:
1) Any bumps or marks caused by the injections should disappear within a few hours of treatment.
2) Try to exercise your treated muscles a little for the first few hours after treatment e.g. practice frowning, raising eyebrows and squinting. This will help Botox/azzalure work into your muscles. How ever, do not make extreme facial expressions.
3) Do not rub or massage treated areas for 48 hours after treatment. After washing treated areas, pat dry very gently with a soft towel.
4) Do not exercise, bend excessively or lie down for at least 4 hours after treatment.
5) Avoid wearing make-up for 12 hours after treatment. For a further 2 weeks, avoid beauty treatment on your face (i.e. facials, face massage).
6) Try to avoid exposure to strong sunlight, very cold temperatures and saunas for 2 weeks after treatment.
7) Treatment normally takes an average of 2 to 3 days to start working, although the full effects may take a little longer. The speed of action depends on the strength of the muscles injected and your individual response.
A complementary review is always scheduled 2 weeks following your treatment, on which the results are reviewed and if required a top up treatment can be given.
The clinic understands some patients have a specific preference to the toxin treated with, this can be discussed in consultation, and we are always happy to meet your requirements. The clinic prides its self of client satisfaction.
Prices start from £160 – (Additional areas at a reduced cost).